How to send alpha keys?

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2008 at 12:07 AM
First off - this is an awesome app. I've installed it and am using it with some roll-your-own automation software.

Now my issue. How do I send an alpha key? For example, if I was using the remote to enter the text "ka" I would click the 5 key twice followed by the 2 key once.

So my assumption was that using vmcController I would connect to the port and send "button-num-5" "button-num-5" "button-num-2" but this just enters "552" in the media center.

I'm sure I'm missing somthing basic here.. any suggestions?

Thanks, Tony
Jan 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I looked at the code and it appears the app just uses the keyboard kv codes, which evidently isn't the same thing as hitting "5" on the VMC remote. I'm not sure if there is a programmatical way to duplicate this functionality, but I'm going to try to find out. Otherwise it should be possible to expand the RemoteCommands class to add all the letters of the alphabet. So at least commands like button-a would work. This is less than ideal, but better than nothing. 
Coordinator
Jan 5, 2009 at 3:42 PM
Yes, totally possible. In fact I already added it to the code base - take a look at the beta release. I didn't bother trying to figure out the virtual keys for the remote numbers (1abc, 2def, etc) instead I just added a "type" command which takes a string:
type: sends the specified string to the media center (equivalent to typing the string on the keyboard - all lowercase)

As a bonus this release also includes support for querying your music libary...