General

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2008 at 4:26 PM
General discussion on the controller and functionality
Apr 27, 2008 at 6:34 PM
Hi Jonathan,

First let me tell you that you've done a great job for the Media Center community. Too bad Im not a programmer since I would love to help the project.
However, I'll be more than happy to help with testings and I will report on how I'm integrating this with my Home Automation Systems. Since we use Superna, we are very involved with Media Center and this project will be very usefull to us.

Just a little question, what are the parameters for:

play-audio<Audio parameters>
play-video <Video parameters>
play-dvd <Dvd parameters>
play-radio <Radio parameters>
play-tv <TV parameters>
play-dvr <Dvr parameters>
queueaudio <Audio parameters>

Thanks again.
Regards,

Martin Vilches
www.iqhome.com.ec
Coordinator
Apr 27, 2008 at 8:52 PM
Edited Apr 27, 2008 at 8:52 PM
play-audio <The URL of the audio to play>
play-video <The URL of the audio to play>
play-dvd <A string in the following format: //path? address>
play-radio <A string in the following format: band:nn.n or band:nn,n, depending on the locale. For example, "fm:103.1" or "fm:103,1". For band, only FM is currently supported>
play-tv <A string representing the call sign of the service to play, or channel number>
play-dvr <The URL of the video to play>
queueaudio <The URL of the audio to play>

Note that URL can be a local or remote UNC or simply a local path and filename. You can get more details at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms814628.aspx
Apr 30, 2008 at 2:27 AM
Edited Apr 30, 2008 at 5:26 PM
I have been fiddling around with a quick little windows form remote client controlling VMC and a extender using your code. So far it works great. I can't thank you enough for sharing this code with the community. I'm just getting into MCE development and wanted to create a remote control app, so this code is Awesome!! I’m hoping to get up to speed with the SDK as fast as possible, so I can start contributing to the community.

Your description of what the different ports do is backwards on the home page. 40400 isn’t the port to control VMC, it’s the port that streams information.

It would also be nice if the streamer port 40400 would also accept commands. I was thinking this would allow you to fire up MCE remotely if it wasn't running on the machine. I take it that you can't pull back Audio Track info from a extender session? I dont see track time when playing music on the extender. Its there when I play recorded tv. What about album art?

I’m very green to MCE development, but super motivated, so I will keep plucking away at this with the intent to add functionality.

Thank you again!!!! This is exactly what I needed to kick me in the butt and start learning something new again!!!
jay
May 4, 2008 at 9:15 AM
Hi,
looks like a nice project, I have done a similar thing but with a named pipe connection to controll the media library and play music from it. My idea is to include my code for the music library into your project to bring this together. ´
But I have some problems to start with it...
1. I have installed your Setup, and can connect to port 40400 with telnet. Then I get some state information, but can't call any command. Is it right that i normally just type "Info" or "Help" and then Press Enter to get an Response, or is there another trick?
2. I'm not able to debug your code. I have tried to attach to the ehexthost process and set some breakpoints, but i never have reached one..

Regards,
Lorenz
May 4, 2008 at 12:41 PM
Hi Lorenz,
Swap the port. 40500 to send commands and 40400 to receive information.

Regards
Martin
May 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM
Hi Martin,

thank you, thats works. Eventually somebody should change the description on the home site :)

Regards,
Lorenz
Coordinator
May 5, 2008 at 7:50 PM

thank you, thats works. Eventually somebody should change the description on the home site :)

Done, fixed the port numbers in the description :)

Jay, I like the idea of being able to remotely start VMC from the event streaming port (just have a single command), it can definitely be done by hooking into the message received event from the TCP connection and checking for a command.

It should definitely be possible to debug by hooking to the ehexthost process as I did that during development so I'm not sure why it isn't working for you Lorenz.
May 8, 2008 at 8:39 PM
Debugging works since I have compiled and installed a debug version. I think in the downloaded setup is a release version without debug information.

I also have included a Command class to retriev all artists from media library to test if this will work, that was not a serious problem. If I find some time in the next days I will include functions for Albums, artists, songs and genres..

Regards, Lorenz
May 14, 2008 at 12:59 PM
This is great, thanks very much!

I'm trying to figure out how to do something, and I'm not sure if this functionality is even in here but I figured I'd ask - if it isn't then this would be a feature request...

Basically, I'd like to launch an MCML application.  I believe I may have to use the application GUID and entrypoint GUID, which I have, just not sure if there's an appropriate GOTO subcommand or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks again,

g.
May 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM
Edited May 14, 2008 at 5:11 PM
(sorry double post)
Jul 15, 2008 at 6:57 AM
I have installed it on 64bit vista, but i can't connect to it and also i don't see it anywhere in VMC. Is it not compatibile with x64 or how should enable/install it manualy?
Dec 31, 2008 at 1:48 PM
hey, is there any news on being able to remotely start VMC?
Jan 8, 2009 at 5:27 PM
Edited Jan 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM
How would I direct-access a different Program such as My Movies www.mymovies.dk - I see it shows up at KeyPress 8236 in the 40400 feedback. Is that keypress specific to the order in which the program is installed or is it consistant across computers - Do programs register themselves in an easy to access method in MediaCenter
Feb 10, 2009 at 6:53 AM
When you say remotley start VMC, do you mean using RDP client or do you mean VMC as a stand alone application.