VMC on Win7 x86

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM
I finally figured out that installing this version "Win7 64 and 32 bit Alpha - button command fix" IS working on win7 32bit but none of the button commands are working (despite the name) so it seems that whatever got fixed in the 64bit version did not get into the 32bit version. Was this an oversight, or is it not possible to fix this for some reason? I'm also wondering which version I should install on a Vista 64 bit OS... Is there one that works with Vista x64 ?
Developer
Jul 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I run win7 64 bit so when I compiled the 32 and the 64 bit version, I have no way to test the 32bit version. I do know that the button commands do work in the 64 bit version and not the 32. I need to get a copy of win 7 32 before I can test the program and debug it. As far as I know there is no version for 64bit vista, But i only work on the Win7 Branch.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:51 PM
Thanks for getting back to me sickkick, I have a similar problem trying to use "sendkeys" command from c#. ( I was hoping to use keyboard emulation to "fill in the blanks" on Win7 32 bit.) It also works with Win7x64 but not Win7 32bit. I have no idea why. Are you using some kind of keyboard emulation for the button commands or is it calling media center methods? curiously, eventGhost keyboard emulation seems to work with Win7 32bit, but it is in python. They seem to be using win32api... If you like I can attach the python code for you to look. From what you are saying, it sounds like vista x64 will never happen then? Does it not work at all, or is it just the button commands?
Aug 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM

It looks like the button commands for the x86 version were broken while they were fixed in the x64 version. The issue seems to be related to differences in structure size and alignment between 32- and 64-bit, as described in the post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2009/08/13/9867383.aspx. I tried to apply the changes from the post to a locally build VmcController, and I got the button commands working on a Windows 7 32-bit installation. The code from the post should work in both 32- and 64-bit. Mind that my situation is the reverse of sickkick, that is to say I could only test the 32-bit version, since I don't have a Windows 7 64-bit installation.

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:17 PM
I would be happy to test both the 32 and 64 bits versions on win7 if you make the build available somewhere.
Aug 10, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I have uploaded my modified version at the following address: http://sites.google.com/site/madslundemann/web-for-projects/media-library-remote/vmccontroller. The modified source code is also available. Bear in mind that it is still an alpha version, and it probably has other bugs. Any prior version must be uninstalled before installation.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM
Excellent. I'll try the 32 bit version asap, and the 64 bit when I get back to the office. The 32 bit is more important anyway since there's already a pretty functional 64 bit one.

On 2010-08-10, at 12:56 PM, "the_nox" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

>
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM
32bit version seems to work great.

Thanks!
Sep 18, 2010 at 2:58 PM
I now realize that certain commands are not working on the w7 32bit version.  Anything that returns information about the currently playing song is failing.

comands like mediametadata or position-get are failing.  (yes I have a song playing! - and these commands work with the w7 x64 version)

ERROR
Command: position-get
Params: No parameters specified.
Returned: BadRequest - No media playing

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:33 AM, James Richards <jitterjames@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM
my mistake.  This is not actually an issue with the 32bit version.  The problem seems to occur when playing media that is located on a network share.

I just had a weird feeling this could be the case so I moved the music to a local drive and it worked fine.

But this could be a bigger issue unto itself for those that want to use network files.  I guess it merits further investigation.  I don't know if it would happen with a mapped network drive.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM, James Richards <jitterjames@gmail.com> wrote:
I now realize that certain commands are not working on the w7 32bit version.  Anything that returns information about the currently playing song is failing.

comands like mediametadata or position-get are failing.  (yes I have a song playing! - and these commands work with the w7 x64 version)

ERROR
Command: position-get
Params: No parameters specified.
Returned: BadRequest - No media playing

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:33 AM, James Richards <jitterjames@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks!