Combining efforts on handheld UIs?

May 14, 2010 at 3:42 AM

There seems to be some amazing work going on in the handheld UI space. I'm getting ready to post my iPhone Safari/Javascript API which supports music, photos, videos, TV, as well has home control.

What does the group think about combining these efforts to support a best-of-breed JavaScript or native client UI for iPhone/iTouch/Android/Win Mobile 7/Blackberry as part of the VMCController project?

Coordinator
May 14, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I think the idea is sound - it would be nice to have a repository of example UIs somewhere.

I do have a couple of issues about adding it to the root controller project

1. As far as JS/HTML clients everyone is going to have a different idea of what this should look like. I think it would be awesome to have a few examples under source control that devs could check in fixes for, and users could download to start from
  2. Native clients - each of these would seem like a separate project to me - there is going to be far less code in common than otherwise.

I've got a iPhone/Touch interface (based on jqTouch) that I'm particularly proud of and one of these days I will clean it up and post it as an example. Though my solution only handles music and photos...